Sunday 9 August 2009

Rolf’s Lake. Holton. Oxfordshire. August 8th-9th, 2009.


Maggotdrowning.com
 magtrans.gif MD's Logo picture by pnm123
Rolf’s Pairs Tournament 2009.
Rolfs.jpg Rolf's Lake pegging plan. picture by pnm123
So 7am and the sun is shining through the bivvy door as I raised myself from my slumber. First things first and on with the kettle for that first cup of coffee to jump start my brain. Terry greets me with several expletives as it seems my snoring woke him around 6am, I reckon it was just John mowing the grass. I was going to catch a lift with the lads down to Tesco’s for a bit of brekkie, but missed the lads, so Paul, Terry and I decided to pop up to the services for breakfast. Let’s just say that it filled a hole and leave it at that.

Back to the Lake and today there’s going to be 30 members of the Maggotdrowning forum assembled from all over the country fishing the 2009 Maggotdrowning.com Pairs Tournament, a 2 legged affair that gets fished over both the Saturday & Sunday. It’s very much a social occasion apart from the matches, and as such is always oversubscribed and has become an annual fixture in the forum calendar. This is the 4th year running that the competition has taken place. I was fortunate enough to win it with Tony(spamwham)Roberts in 2007, and would love to be the 1st person to win it twice, as I’m sure any of the other previous winners would.

Soon the car park was full, and as people sorted themselves out for the weekend ahead the banter was flowing. I had a chat with Simon and Budgie who had decided to stay on even though he wasn’t fishing, The excitement was too much for Gemma however who snatched 40 winks (probably dreaming of Minxings to come) ……
a26-1.jpg Gemma catches 40 winks. picture by pnm123
At 11 o’clock the draw for the Pairs was made by Gemma who had risen from her slumbers. Not Experts and Novices this year as the majority fishing now have various degrees of experience at Rolf’s. Some interesting pairings came out and I found myself paired with my fellow MD’s moderator Dirk. With the draw for todays match not being till 12·30pm I took a stroll round the lake with Terry, and as is usual at Rolf’s there were plenty of Carp sunning themselves in all the swims ………
a27-1.jpg Carp at Rolf's. picture by pnm123
Where did I want to draw? well anywhere between peg 1 and 8 would do me, in fact anywhere but 13. Getting back to the car park for the draw I noticed that some wag (Vince) had written ‘Peg 13′ by my name on the draw board, It couldn’t happen could it?
a29-1.jpg Waiting for Saturdays draw. picture by pnm123
 So at 12·30pm the draw started with Webbo drawing 1st and ending up with peg 11, the same one he’d struggled on yesterday. I then stepped confidently forward stating “Let’s get peg 13 out of the way then” and promptly drew it !!!!!!!!! Gutted, though the assembled crowd found it hilarious. The rest is a bit of a blur as various lads offered their sympathy …………. NOT.
a33.jpg It says it all really. picture by pnm123
Well I walked my gear round to you know where, with the match being fished from 2-7 there was plenty of time to set up and it really wasn’t going to take me long as I still had my top kits set up with the rigs from the previous days match, so no need to go over the details of them here. I’m sure you’re all fed up with looking at the photo from behind the peg, so I had a stroll along the bank to get a different angle on things………
a34.jpg Peg 13 yet again. picture by pnm123
I stopped and had a chat with Webbo, and he didn’t seem to be to enthused about his chances and then stopped for a chat with Clive who was looking a bit happier with his prospects for the match ahead……
a35.jpg Clive waits for the off on Saturday. picture by pnm123
Looking at the draw I had to fancy Paul East (peg 9) and (peg8) Dave Moore’s chances in the Pairs today, while a Golden Nugget looked to be in danger as Vince had drawn peg 6. Looking across from my peg as I waited for the off I could see Dirk on peg 29, Malc on peg 30, Tony on 31 and Tim on 32………
a31.jpg Dirk, Malc, Tony and Tim. picture by pnm123
So 2pm and John rang the fishery bell for the All-In, feed as per yesterday and out with a banded pellet at 6mtrs. Not a lot happened though, a few bubbles were rising from the swim, but there were no bites to be had. I plugged away but from what I could see sport in general appeared to be slow, though Paul on peg 9 was getting a couple ……
a39.jpg In the net for Paul(nomorelongwalks)East. picture by pnm123
Half an hour in and I had a bite !!!!! I was so shocked that I missed it but latched onto a foul hooker. Lots of elastic poured out of the top kit as I was obviously attached to a Carp via its tail. Despite loads of encouragement I managed to get it to the net, a weigher to get me off the mark.
a67.jpg 1st of the day on Saturday. picture by pnm123
Paul Thompson had a bit of a mare as he was connected to a Carp when the sound of smashing carbon was heard leaving him to play the fish on the remains of a shattered top 2……
a36.jpg Tommy plays a fish on a busted top kit. picture by pnm123
A few more foul hookers followed for me, none of which I landed, so feeling that I was getting nowhere fast, I decided to feed and have a short stroll with the camera. Dave Moore on peg 8 had got off to a good start and was picking up a few fishing paste down the track and was into another fish as I watched.
a42.jpg Dave playing a Carp on peg 8. picture by pnm123
…… Unfortunately a bit of a disaster was to befall Dave a few moments after this though, as his keepnet fell in and by the time he retrieved it 3 carp had escaped.
Simon, over on peg 34 had hooked a big Carp which ploughed into the lillies on his right hand side, he tried to free it but only succeeded in breaking his No 4 section. Lucky Mitch was on hand and soon stripped down to his boxers and recovered his top kit.

a40.jpg Mitch after rescueing Simons top kit. picture by pnm123
Gemma’s customary scream was heard from peg 22 meaning a few more hearts dropped, and with good reason as she was receiving a bit of coaching from visiting Rolf’s regular Eddie Turner-Green on the finer points of paste fishing, something that Eddie excels at.
a45.jpg Gemma(The Minx) on peg 22. picture by pnm123
Bill was up on peg 20 and had endured a fishless 2 hours before he’d had his 1st fish, a decent weigher at 14¾lbs to get him off the mark at last.
a44.jpg Bill G on peg 20. picture by pnm123
Now a bit of light relief is always nice to raise the spirits when things are tough, and today it was provided by Terry on peg 15. It turned out that his landing net had parted company with his handle as he tried to land a Carp, and having lost the fish he was faced with having to take a dip to retrieve it. Well it would have been rude to have ignored the photo opportunity wouldn’t it.
a46.jpg Terry plays "Hunt the Landing Net". picture by pnm123
Things really didn’t improve a lot for me, I was simply plagued with foul hookers though I did manage another couple of smaller fish that had actually taken the bait……
a69.jpg Peter playing a Carp on peg 13. picture by pnm123
Opposite me my pairs partner Dirk was suffering too, while Malc had sat doing his best garden gnome impression for over 3hrs before taking his 1st fish ……
a37.jpg Malc(The Jinx)Doyle. picture by pnm123
In fact Malc was about to provide one of the funniest moments of the day …… Now Malc likes to sit with his pole between his legs, and after lifting into a bite and missing it a Carp must have grabbed the bait and powered off, the force of which pulled the pole down and the butt right up into his family jewels !!!! You could hear the scream across the lake, the fish got off leaving Malc to wipe the tears from his eyes while receiving sympathy from all those around him ……… NOT.

Clive was sliding a few into the net on the quiet, but was having a bit of a problem with his keepnets that were floating around in front of him, and in the end would cost him 3 lost Carp ……

a48.jpg Fish on for Clive. picture by pnm123
Tony was another enduring a frustrating day as he tried to get to grips with fishing paste on peg 31, even picking John Bennett’s brains, but they weren’t really having it despite Tony striking like Zorro on numerous occasions, though he did finally manage to connect with a couple……
a43.jpg Fish on for Tony(spamwham)Roberts. picture by pnm123
I managed just one more before John rang the fishery bell for the All-Out at 7pm, and I have to say that I was glad to hear it after enduring what had been a very frustrating 5 hours for me. All that remained was to pack the kit away before the weigh-in, and I was seriously debating whether to just leave it there. It was just a question of if I’d suffered a Minxing and whether Vince had taken a Golden Nugget off me as well. All would be revealed by the weigh in.


So the Weigh-In started with Simon on peg 34 who put 41¾lbs on the scales to kick things off. This was swiftly overtaken however, firstly by Alex Malman (peg 37) who weighed 83lbs+ and then his brother Gaz who recorded 113¾lbs from peg 38. Vince had managed 56¾lbs from peg 6 and I knew that my 18 month run had come to an end and a Golden Nugget would be going his way at last. Dave Moore’s 116¾lbs from peg 8 proved to be the winning weight on the day despite his earlier disaster with his keepnet. Clive’s 110¼lbs from peg 10 gave him 3rd place on the day and Webbo’s 52¾lbs from peg 11 meant another Nugget disappearing to Yorkshire as my 39½lbs came up short. Indeed with nobody else threatening the frame, It was just a question of whether I could avoid a Minxing ? I avoided that by the skin of my teeth as Gemma’s fish came to exactly the same weight as mine at 39½lbs. Malc’s weight of 80½lbs was the best from the final pegs.
So with the Weigh-In over the inquests started, and Eddie was good enough to capture the moment when I had to part with a Golden Nugget and hand it to Vince……
a73.jpg A Golden Nugget for Vince. picture by pnm123
 Dave Moore & Paul East were leading with 13 points while Dirk and I were stone cold last with 44 points. Paul, Vince and I popped down to the pub for a couple of drinks with Dirk and his son, before raiding Asda’s for something to pop on the barbie for dinner and the evening wound down with a chin wag and a few beers round the barbie before I hit the sack around 1·30am. What would tomorrow bring? We’d soon find out.
 
Sunday, August 09, 2009

I stuck my head out of my sleeping bag around 7am and it was obvious that plenty of people were already up and about. This was probably down to the fact that people had to get their bivvies and all the other paraphernalia packed away prior to the match so after a couple of cups of coffee and a bite to eat it was time to dismantle my bivvy and get it packed away into it’s improbably small bag. Considering that I only use it once a year it always amazes me that I manage to do it, but once more it went away OK.

Now we were going to draw at 11·30am and fish from 1pm-6pm in order to allow everyone to get off homeward at a reasonable hour. Having got all my gear packed away I came across our hosts for the weekend John & Pauline tucking into a spot of breakfast themselves.
a56.jpg John and Pauline. picture by pnm123
There was a bit of speculation as to whether I could possibly draw Peg 13 for a third day in a row (How much suffering did people want to see me go through?) and it had been agreed that I would draw first to put myself out of my misery. So at the appointed time I dipped my hand into the fateful draw bag, and pulled out …………………………………….. Peg 20. (Not the best of pegs, and 13 would probably fish it’s head of today) It was a shortish walk anyway and Bill had briefed me on how he’d fished it yesterday. For company I had Dave(Rockyroads)West on peg 19 and Tony on peg 22, while Webbo was next up on peg 23.
a59.jpg Peg 20 for me on Sunday. picture by pnm123
Setting up was a simple job as I still had the top kits set up from yesterday and with just 8 inches less depth I merely adjusted the depth of the rigs that were already in place. So plenty of time till the off, meaning a stroll with the camera was in order. Down on peg 34 Paul was settling in and with his partner Dave having drawn peg 9 it looked as if they would take all the catching, though it wasn’t impossible…
a52.jpg Paul prepares for Sunday. picture by pnm123
Tony(teepee) was settling in next to Paul on peg 35, and it was good to see him fishing again after he had to miss out last year when he was taken ill ……
a51.jpg Tony(teepee) gets ready on Sunday. picture by pnm123
My partner Dirk had drawn peg 38 and appeared to be warming up with a bit of Tai Chi, and a repeat of Gaz’s performance off that peg the previous day would be the minimum we needed (No pressure there then)……
a55.jpg Dirk limbers up. picture by pnm123
I couldn’t help noticing Gemma on peg 8, she’s good enough to Minx a lot of us, without her drawing a flyer like peg 8, but I’m sure it was a cunning plan to distract us further by fishing in those shorts ……
a54.jpg Gemma showing some leg. picture by pnm123
As I made my way back I had a brief chat with Vince who’d drawn peg 32, and I feared he’d be taking another Golden Nugget home with that peg today. I also saw that Bill was settling into peg 11 which hadn’t really produced all weekend.
a57.jpg bill gets ready on peg 11. picture by pnm123
Back at my peg it was just a question of waiting for the All-In and Rocky did the honours with my camera (more like a condemned man waiting for the gallows)
a60.jpg Peter waiting for the All-In on Sunday. picture by pnm123
Anyway at 1pm the All-In sounded and we were off, I fed a line at 7mtrs out in front and another to the bush to my left. Starting with hard pellet and alternating between those, expanders, paste and corn produced not a touch, though Tony was off the mark pretty quickly with a decent fish. The Big Lake was pretty slow however, and word had it that the Little Lake was the place to be today. Rocky had managed a nice common and had then lost another. In fact most people had taken the odd fish, mostly on the pellet waggler and Webbo had taken a couple on a floating rocket feeder. For me it was just a question of keeping faith and hoping that something would turn up. I did get the pellet waggler out briefly after Simon had threaded the line through the rings for me (I was struggling without my glasses), but was pretty restricted in where I could cast so soon gave it up as a bad job and went back to trying the bush to my left……
a71.jpg Peter on peg 20. picture by pnm123
One person who did seem to be doing OK though was Mitch who was on peg 13, fishing up in the water at 13mtrs, I’d seen him going to the scales with weighers on several occasions. Simon had managed to extract a couple of fish from peg 15, and had resorted to fishing at 14½mtrs to try and nick a couple more……
a64.jpg Simon fishing at 14½ meters. picture by pnm123
Gemma had been noticeably quiet on peg 8, despite Simon reckoning that she’d caught, but when she let out a scream halfway through I thought I was in trouble. Webbo had nicked a couple more and I’d seen Vince picking John’s brains about peg 32 and could see him into a fish, so that wasn’t looking good either in the Golden Nugget department……
a62.jpg Vince heading for another Golden Nugget from Peter. picture by pnm123
I finally managed to tempt a Carp from the bush, nothing big at around 7lbs, but a fish none the less. Al seemed like he was in pretty much the same boat as me, and just sticking it out in the hope that they would turn up……
a58.jpg Alan Loader. picture by pnm123
With about an hour to go I managed to get another Carp from the bush, again around the 7lb mark, and next put in hooked another that I played with kid gloves. However Webbo just couldn’t resist saying “make sure you get that in the net” , which of course was the cue for the hook to come free leaving me muttering under my breath.

With half an hour to go I had a final bite, but rather than a surging run from a Carp there was just momentary resistance before a skimmer of about 2½lbs slid over the net. Not quite what I was after, but welcome none the less. Finally at 6pm the All-Out was sounded, and I have to say that I felt glad it was over, and was quite happy to pack my kit away and get it back to the car.

Paul East was first to weigh and his 69¼lbs from peg 34 would net him 6th place on the day bringing him good points. However Gaz on peg 37 blew everyone away with 165lbs and the win on the day. Meanwhile his brother Alex on peg 40 weighed 79lbs for 5th overall. Malc weighed 93½lbs from peg 4 for 3rd, while daughter Gemma only managed 16¼lbs off of peg 8. Dave Moore had a mare on peg 9 managing just 18lbs throwing the whole match wide open. Mitch weighed a very creditable 89¼lbs from peg 13 for 4th overall. Round to my peg where incredibly my 2 carp and a skimmer weighed 16¼lbs meaning I’d tied with the Minx and escaped again for the second day in a row.
However I lost another Golden Nugget to both Webbo and Vince, while Scott recorded the best weight off the car park bank with a fine 94¼lbs on the day for 2nd overall.

a72.jpg Waiting for the results. picture by pnm123
So back to the fishery hut and while Dave sorted through the points the banter flowed. It transpired that 1st day leaders Dave Moore & Paul East had been pipped by a single point in the final reckoning, which meant that the winners of the Rolf’s Pairs 2009 were………….
Alex Malman & Dave Collier Congratulations to both of them.
 
a65.jpg Alex Malman, Dave Webster and Dave Collier. picture by pnm123

Finally a few words of thanks are due to
John & Pauline Bennett for allowing us the use of their superb fishery during the weekend.
Dave Webster, for bringing us all Maggotdrowning.com and organising the whole weekend.
Finally, all the anglers that took part, It’s you that make the weekend the success it is.


 Overall Pairs Result.
 Position               Pairs                    Points 
 1st Alex Malman & Dave Collier 42 pts
 2nd Dave Moore & Paul East 43 pts
 3rd Gaz Malman & Alan Loader 45 pts
 4th Mitch Auger & Scott Weston 48 pts
 5th Chris Kendall & Adrian Wood 52 pts
 6th Bill Bibbins & Tony Roberts 53 pts
 7th Malc Doyle & Mick Pearson 56 pts
 8th Clive Pritchard & Ant Haywood 57 pts
 9th Tom Little & Chris Ellis 61 pts
 10th Dave Webster & Gemma Doyle 67 pts
 11th Dirk Williams & Peter Morton 79 pts
 12th Simon Mound & Colin Sharrard 80 pts
 13th Terry Goff & Tony Prentice 80 pts
 14th Vince Gould & Tim Westmoreland 82 pts
 15th Paul Thompson & Dave West 82 pts

Saturday Individual Result.
Position Peg               Angler            Weight   
 1st Peg 8 Dave Moore 116lbs 12ozs
 2nd Peg 38 Gaz Malman 113lbs 12ozs
 3rd Peg 10 Clive Pritchard 110lbs 04ozs
 4th Peg 37 Alex Malman  83lbs 05ozs
 5th Peg 30 Malc Doyle  80lbs 08ozs
 6th Peg 18 Chris Kendall  72lbs 00ozs
 7th Peg 17 Chris Ellis  69lbs 00ozs
 8th Peg 25 Paul Thompson  60lbs 00ozs
 9th Peg 6 Vince Gould  56lbs 12ozs
 10th Peg 20 Bill Gibbins  55lbs 00ozs
 11th Peg 11 Dave Webster  52lbs 12ozs
 12th Peg 9 Paul East  49lbs 12ozs
 13th Peg 34 Simon Mound  41lbs 12ozs
 14th Peg 31 Tony Roberts  41lbs 00ozs
 15th Peg 2 Tony Prentice  40lbs 06ozs
 16th= Peg 13 Peter Morton  39lbs 08ozs
 16th= Peg 22 Gemma Doyle  39lbs 08ozs
 18th Peg 19 Scott Weston  38lbs 08ozs
 19th Peg 7 Mick Pearson  36lbs 08ozs
 20th Peg 14 Terry Goff  30lbs 04ozs
 21st Peg 16 Dave Collier  28lbs 04ozs
 22nd Peg 15 Alan Loader  26lbs 08ozs
 23rd Peg 40 Colin Sharrard  20lbs 12ozs
 24th Peg 35 Mitch Auger  15lbs 00ozs
 25th Peg 32 Tim Westmoreland  12lbs 08ozs
 26th Peg 23 Adrian Wood  10lbs 00ozs
 27th Peg 4 Tom Little   9lbs 06ozs
 28th Peg 29 Dirk Williams   7lbs 00ozs
 29th Peg 26 Ant Haywood   3lbs 08ozs
 30th Peg 28 Dave West      DNW

Sunday Individual Result.
Position Peg            Angler            
 Weight       
 1st Peg 37 Gaz Malman 165lbs 00ozs
 2nd Peg 26 Scott Weston  94lbs 04ozs
 3rd Peg 4 Malc Doyle  93lbs 08ozs
 4th Peg 13 Mitch Auger  89lbs 04ozs
 5th Peg 40 Alex Malman  79lbs 00ozs
 6th Peg 34 Paul East  69lbs 04ozs
 7th Peg 6 Chris Kendall  66lbs 12ozs
 8th Peg 31 Clive Pritchard  53lbs 08ozs
 9th Peg 2 Chris Ellis  49lbs 12ozs
 10th= Peg 11 Bill Gibbins  39lbs 04ozs
 10th= Peg 38 Dirk Williams  39lbs 04ozs
 12th Peg 30 Dave Collier  37lbs 04ozs
 13th Peg 29 Adrian Wood  36lbs 08ozs
 14th Peg 15 Simon Mound  31lbs 08ozs
 15th Peg 23 Dave Webster  30lbs 04ozs
 16th Peg 16 Paul Thompson  28lbs 12ozs
 17th Peg 7 Ant Haywood  23lbs 08ozs
 18th Peg 25 Tom Little  22lbs 04ozs
 19th Peg 22 Tony Roberts  22lbs 00ozs
 20th Peg 17 Alan Loader  19lbs 12ozs
 21st Peg 32 Vince Gould  19lbs 04ozs
 22nd Peg 28 Terry Goff  18lbs 12ozs
 23rd Peg 35 Tony Prentice  18lbs 08ozs
 24th Peg 9 Dave Moore  18lbs 00ozs
 25th= Peg 8 Gemma Doyle  16lbs 04ozs
 25th= Peg 20 Peter Morton  16lbs 04ozs
 27th Peg 10 Tim Westmoreland  15lbs 12ozs
 28th Peg 19 Dave West   9lbs 08ozs
 29th Peg 18 Mick Pearson   7lbs 08ozs
 30th Peg 14 Colin Sharrard      DNW








No comments:

Post a Comment