Saturday 22 August 2009

Monk Lakes. Match Lakes 1 and 2. August 22nd, 2009.

The Southern Intersite Match.

M1.jpg Monks Match Lakes 1 and 2. picture by pnm123
Well today was the day of the annual Southern Intersite Match, where 4 teams of 10 anglers representing 4 angling forums pit their wits and fishing skills against each other in a light hearted match. Well I say light hearted, but over the years it’s become quite competitive for some, but as usual I’m fishing for the team from Maggotdrowning.com and our ethos is still to enjoy ourselves and the day without actually trying to win. The other teams are from Angling Forums, Total Fishing.com and TalkAngling so we’ll see how the day goes. The first look out of the bedroom window was promising, offering the promise of a decent day weather-wise ahead, though the forecast reckoned we might get a few showers at some point.
A cup of coffee to kick start the old grey matter, then get the car loaded before setting off for the fishery. A nice easy drive down saw me pulling into the fishery just after 8am and pulling up in the car park next to Mick the Chippy. Climbing out of the car it was strangely still, and people were saying that the lakes were like glass with no hint of a ripple to be seen, a very rare occurrence at Monks!!!!!

Down to the chuck wagon for a bacon sarnie and coffee and the greetings and banter were soon in full flow as the 4 teams started to assemble prior to the draw.. New faces being introduced, while old ones were greeted and abused in equal measures. 9am and the team captains drew their teams pegs which were then allotted to their team members. The MD’s draw was done and with 5 sections on each lake peg 60 on Lake 2 was mine. I was quite happy with that as I much prefer Lake 2 having fished it more than Lake 1.

With new match rules in place at Monk Lakes including bait and net limits, decisions had to be made about bait and as I loaded my kit up onto the barrow I selected 7 pints of pellets, a couple of tins of corn and 2kg of groundbait for the day as well as 4 keepnets (well you never know your luck).
a7-5.jpg Peg 60 on Lake 2. picture by pnm123
With my gear safely round to my peg it was time to set up. Peg 60 has a decent bit of depth and a decent left hand margin to a bush. The plan was to fish paste and pellet and concentrate on 2 lines today, 5mtrs straight out where there was around 5½ft and the margin with around 2½ft. For the 2 paste rigs I selected a couple of Malman SC paste floats made up on 0·18 Power Match with size 12 Ashima Barbless hooks. I also set up a Malman 4X 14 Champers on 0·14 power match with a size 16 Drennan Carp Match hook for fishing the pellet on the deck out at 5mtrs and a Malman Slapper, again on 0·14 Power Match with a size 16 Drennan Carp Match hook for up in the water, that would also double up for the margin if needed. Bait wise the paste was a bag of Dynamite Swim Stim Amino Original that I had put through a liquidiser to make it really fine and added a packet of GOT Baits pineapple Atomic Cloud which mixes up to a nice soft consistency, a selection of hard and soft hook pellets and some corn, with 6mm pellets for feed.

With the new weight limits in place I put 3 keepnets in straight away just in case, as I didn’t want to run the risk of disturbing the margin later if I was catching well. Everything was ready by 10·30am and with half an hour to go I strolled back to the car to get my jacket just in case we got the odd shower (You aren’t allowed to cross the bridge now once the match has started) Nick(Bag Up) was settling in to peg 46 as I got round to the car, and you couldn’t accuse him of being the worlds tidiest angler ……

a1-5.jpg Bag Up's peg. picture by pnm123
As I made my way back I took the opportunity of snapping a picture of Clive on end peg 77 as he sat waiting for the off ……
a2-5.jpg Clive waits for the off. picture by pnm123
Fred(Milo)Parker fishing for TalkAngling had draw the other end peg (56) and was obviously hoping for a decent day ahead ……
a4-5.jpg Fred(Milo)Parker. picture by pnm123
While the lads at the other end were obviously discussing their prospects, and I had to fancy Nick Gilbert’s chances (but not his dress sense) after he’d drawn peg 67 as he’s got a good record at Monks……
a5-5.jpg A chat before the All-In. picture by pnm123
So 11am and the All-In was called and I cupped in 2 big pots of pellet at 5 mtrs and fed some pellet down the left margin. I started off with a banded 8mm pellet at 5mtrs which resulted in a couple of lightening fast bites that I couldn’t connect with. Third time lucky though as a slower more positive bite resulted in a first fish, a nice plump Mirror of around 2lbs nestling safely in the net. It was a case of steady away from then on really, working the bait , lifting and dropping the rig or a little drag to one side to try and induce a bite. There was just a little to long between bites but the fish that I was getting were plump Mirrors so at least a bit of weight was going in the net and at the end of the first hour I had 7 fish for around 18lbs.

Looking across I could see Hathers (moleman) who appeared to be going along quite nicely on peg 54 and luckily he had a cap on, so I wasn’t getting dazzled by the reflection from his bonce ……

a11-5.jpg Hathers gets ready to net a fish. picture by pnm123
while over on peg 46 Nick appeared to be going along quite nicely thank you, regularly putting fish in the net……
a14-6.jpg Nick(Bag Up)Costar. picture by pnm123
Try as I might I just couldn’t seem to up the rate, while Mark on peg 59 to my right seemed to be catching faster than me, though he was getting a lot of Barbel (I couldn’t actually see though as he was hidden by the bush). So about 12·30 I had my 1st look with the paste rig and while it didn’t provide any increase in bites, they were a lot more definite when they came and easier to connect with.

By 1·30pm I was feeling a little parched and realised that I’d left my drinks in the car, and as you’re now not allowed across the bridge once the match is on I took a stroll up to Mick to scrounge a drink. The man himself kindly obliged with a whistle wetter and appeared to be enjoying himself as he slid another fish into his waiting landing net while I watched ……

a8-5.jpg Fish on for Mick. picture by pnm123
I took the opportunity to pop down and see how Nick was getting on, and he reported that he’d had a blinding start with 20 fish in the net in the 1st hour, things had slowed for him however and he was actually fishing on the deck to keep some fish going in the net !!!! Anyone that knows Nick will know that he’s a confirmed “up in the water” man, so thought I’d better catch proof of this rare event on camera …
a9-5.jpg Nick Gilbert fishing on the deck!!!!!! picture by pnm123
Just after 2pm I noticed a tail pattern in my left hand margin, so felt it was time for a look there. Just 3 sections were needed to drop the paste down the margin and after a couple of minutes the float slid away and I found myself attached to a better fish that appeared to be determined to go and visit the opposite side of the lake. Almost straight away I could feel it was a foul hooker, but fortunately after a few minutes I was able to slide it tail first into the landing net, another plump Mirror, but this one went about 6lbs.

I stayed with the margin swim for the remainder of the match, yet again I couldn’t up my catch rate though. However I was putting fish into the nets on a regular basis even if it wasn’t quite as quick as I would have liked and felt I should have brought some maggots with me as they would probably have drawn a few more Barbel into the peg.

Looking around it was hard to see how others were doing due to the lush bankside vegetation, indeed I could just see Clive’s head peeking above making him appear somewhat like a Jap Sniper in the jungle…

a12-6.jpg Clive the sniper. picture by pnm123
While Mick being somewhat loftier in the height department (though he may have been standing up) could be seen playing another fish when I glanced round ……
a17-5.jpg Mick playing a fish. picture by pnm123
My final 40 minutes were quite frustrating as sport seemed to slow right down, and I only managed to put a couple of fish in the net in this period meaning that when the All-Out was called I’d ended the match with 40 fish in my nets. Clive and I had drawn scales duty for the causeway so I managed to get packed away and my kit back to the car while we waited for the scales as they weighed the car park bank first.
Unfortunately Nick(Bag Up) fell foul of the new rules as his 2 nets at the Weigh-In were both over 60lbs so he only recorded a level 100lbs (50lbs for each net) I’m not really sure what happened there though as he had 4 nets in the water during the match.

So we finally got round to the Weigh-In on the causeway and Morgan kindly took on the recording duties allowing Clive and myself to get on with the weighing. Fred kicked off with 114lbs. Mark Smith took the honours in my section (8) with a fine 145lbs, which proved to be the 3rd best weight on the day, and giving me a right battering off the next peg as my 98 lbs was only good enough for 3rd in section. Section 9 saw 3 consecutive ‘Tons’ brought to the scales with Nick Gilberts being the best of them at 168¼lbs and the top individual weight on the day. The final section (10) saw all four anglers record ‘Tons’, with Roland Lucas’s 153½lbs, which was the 2nd highest weight on the day winning the section . Billy Lowe put 128½lbs on the scales to record his first ever ‘Ton’ in a match and take 2nd in section, while poor Clive’s 112½lbs was only good enough for last in section.



So with the Weigh-In completed we made our way back to the car park for the results and it was obvious that Lake 2 had been the one to draw, with Lake 1 fishing much harder, in fact just a single ‘Ton’ weight was recorded on Lake 1 by Paul Law (justin case) the Talk Angling Team Captain. With all the results in it was the lads from Total Fishing that took the honours on the day by just a single point from the Angling Forums team. Maggotdrowning trailed into 3rd place with the lads from Talk Angling bringing up the rear.


All in all it had proved to be a good day though, Thanks to Vince for organising todays match with his usual customary efficiency. Thanks to Morgan and his staff for providing his fishery for the day and finally Thanks to everyone from all the forums who made it a most enjoyable day with the match fished in the right spirit, nice to catch up with some we already knew and others for the first time. Happily for me, and unfortunately for Vince normal service had been resumed and Vince had to hand back one of my Golden Nuggets that he’d taken from me at Rolf’s, so a nice end to the day for me at least.



 1st Total Fishing 20 points 
 2nd   Angling Forums 21 points
 3rd Maggotdrowning       28 points
 4th Talk Angling 31 points



 Section 1                                                                                            
 Paul Law Talk Angling Peg 2 103lbs 04ozs 1 point
 Vince Gould Maggotdrowning Peg 4  54lbs 10ozs 3 points
 Dave Churchwood Angling Forums Peg 6  87lbs 04ozs 2 points
 Brian Jackson Total Fishing Peg 8  25lbs 04ozs 4 points
     
 Section 2    
 Les Griggs Talk Angling Peg 10  17lbs 04ozs 3 points
 Alan Loader Maggotdrowning Peg 14  39lbs 00ozs 2 points
 Marcus Page Angling Forums Peg 16  45lbs 12ozs 1 point
 Andy Honess Total Fishing Peg 18   7lbs 00ozs 4 points
     
 Section 3    
 Tony Biddle Talk Angling Peg 20  56lbs 00ozs 3 points
 Matt Love Maggotdrowning Peg 22  47lbs 08ozs 4 points
 Stuart Wilson Angling Forums Peg 23  78lbs 12ozs 1 point
 Martin Wright Total Fishing Peg 25  66lbs 00ozs 2 points
     
 Section 4    
 Chris Siddle Talk Angling Peg 27  64lbs 10ozs 3 points
 Steve Allen Maggotdrowning Peg 29  71lbs 06ozs 2 points
 Tony Curd Angling Forums Peg 31   57lbs 08ozs 4 points
 Andy Gregory Total Fishing Peg 35  77lbs 06ozs 1 point
     
 Section 5    
 Liam Willis Talk Angling Peg 37  44lbs 01ozs 4 points
 Paul East Maggotdrowning Peg 39  52lbs 12ozs 2 points
 Trevor Little Angling Forums Peg 41  46lbs 03ozs 3 points
 T Baker Total Fishing Peg 43  74lbs 08ozs 1 point
     
 Section 6    
 Jim McDowell Total Fishing Peg 45 146lbs 00ozs 1 point
 Nick Costar Maggotdrowning Peg 46 100lbs 00ozs 4 points
 John Holt Angling Forums Peg 48 139lbs 00ozs 2 points
 Fred Parker  Talk Angling Peg 56 114lbs 00ozs 3 points
     
 Section 7    
 Simon Duke Talk Angling Peg 49  45lbs 00ozs 4 points
 Roy Gudgeon Maggotdrowning Peg 51 112lbs 08ozs 3 points
 Chris Martin Total Fishing Peg 52 138lbs 08ozs 1 point
 Mark Hathaway Angling Forums Peg 54 117lbs 00ozs 2 points
     
 Section 8    
 Dave DAT Total Fishing Peg 57 117lbs 00ozs 2 points
 Mark Smith Angling Forums Peg 59 145lbs 00ozs 1 point
 Peter Morton Maggotdrowning Peg 60  98lbs 00ozs 3 points
 Richard Page Talk Angling Peg 62  46lbs 00ozs 4 points
     
 Section 9    
 Johnnie Watts Total Fishing Peg 64 109lbs 00ozs 3 points
 Rusty Graves Angling Forums Peg 66 131lbs 08ozs 2 points
 Nick Gilbert Maggotdrowning Peg 67 168lbs 04ozs 1 point
 Mick Pearson Talk Angling Peg 69  44lbs 00ozs 4 points
     
 Section 10    
 Roland Lucas Total Fishing Peg 71 153lbs 08ozs 1 point
 Paul Taylor Angling Forums Peg 73 117lbs 00ozs 3 points
 Billy Lowe Talk Angling Peg 75 128lbs 08ozs 2 points
 Clive Pritchard Maggotdrowning Peg 77 112lbs 08ozs 4 points

Saturday sees me back at Rolf’s for the final Match of The Jinx Series. Clive and I are lying 2nd in the Pairs and have an outside chance of 1st place. Can we do it? who knows, but you’ll be able to find out here next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment