Sunday 20 October 2002

Willinghurst Fishery. Old Lake. October 20th, 2002.

Hawthorne AC club match.

Not a good start this morning, OVERSLEPT!!!! Woken by a nudge in the ribs from Maria.
Fling tackle into car and off to Willinghurst about 40 miles away, just outside Guildford.

I arrived to find everyone already fishing, so I went to find the Match Sec and draw my peg. Now 9 & 10 were left in the bag, 10 has loads of features and is a corner peg, 9 has nothing, just an open expanse of water. No prizes for guessing!!!!!!!!! Yes I drew 9.




I had been warned that if the weather turned nasty it would be a real struggle and boy had it turned nasty!!!!! There had been a frost. The East wind made it feel like midwinter and just as i arrived at my peg it started to rain.
Up with the brolly,sit on my box and access my options….. Pole? NO, Waggler? NO, Feeder? That’ll do.
Knock up a bag of Fishgutz method mix groundbait, add a little corn and a little riddled meat and fish either hair rigged corn or meat. (4 bits of corn or ½ inch chunks of meat).
Largish baits and sit it out for a carp, clip up and keep dropping it down the same hole.

All around me people were struggling except for 2 lads who had islands to fish to. Well to cut to the chase, the fish weren’t going to rip it off the rests today, a 2 inch pull was all you got and if you didn’t hit them you didn’t get another chance.

 I had a mere 7 bites all day and managed to connect with all but one catching 6 Carp, the best of which weighing 6lbs 14ozs and weighed in 27lbs 8ozs which was good enough for 3rd on the day. (less than 4lbs away from the winner, 1 more fish?)





No comments:

Post a Comment