Sunday 1 June 2003

Tylers Common. Willow Lake. Essex. June 1st, 2003.

Hawthorne AC club match.

TylersCommonFishery.jpg picture by pnm123

Well today was the 2nd Hawthorne AC match of the season on Willow Lake at Tylers Common in Essex. Well after the last 3 days glorious weather, true to form the day dawned dull grey & overcast, with the threat of showers and thunderstorms.
This was the venue of our 1st round Supercup match in January, and everyone was hoping for a better catch than last time when 24 anglers only caught 2 Carp between them.

Looking down on Willow Lake from the car park………
Now I have to say that this is my least favorite type of venue, as it’s basically just a hole dug in a field and filled with fish. There are no features to fish to except for a few straggly tufts of grass in the edge and no established trees or bushes to offer anything in the way of shelter.
Anyway enough of my moaning, into the drawbag and it’s peg 5 for me. On arriving at my peg it was immediately obvious that things would be hard for the majority of us, as the Carp were bow waving about all over, obviously intent on playing Mummies & Daddies and with very little interest in having a munch.
A good plumb up revealed not a single feature, it just kept gently shelving away. So I just set up a paste rig to fish at 9mtrs in 5ft of water and an up in the water rig for pellet. I also set up a waggler on the off chance that they would really have it up in the water, but out of pole range.

Peg 5………

Well what can I say?……………. It was Hard Work, the only thing I could get a bite on was the paste, despite going through punched meat, maggot, corn and a couple of types of pellet.
My Total catch?………….. 4 Carp and 2 Tench for 11lbs 8ozs which was only good enough for 8th place.
Still at least I’m through to the ¼ finals of the club KO Cup and I was part of the winning team in the clubs Teams of 4/5 that was fished today.

Oh and just to finish things off……….The heavens opened, complete with thunder & lightning just as we were packing up so we all got soaked.






No comments:

Post a Comment