Sunday 21 August 2011

Rolf's Lake. Holton. Oxfordshire. August 21st, 2011.

Morefax AC club match.
Well I was awoken from my slumbers this morning when a car pulled up next to mine in the car park. Getting out of the car I found Kev strolling across the car park to enquire if I fancied a cup of coffee? Silly question really, and I soon had a steaming cuppa firing up the grey matter thanks to Jean. A few weeks ago Dave C had been asked by the Morefax club whether he could rustle up 10 members of Marsh AC to make up the numbers in their club match today, so a few members of The Jinx Squad were granted temporary membership to make up the numbers so they could fish today.

The Morefax lads had planned an early draw (8·30am) but with a few being delayed a 9·30am draw and fishing from 11am – 4pm was settled on. Soon those of us that had stopped over had packed away our overnight gear, bivvies etc and the discussions had started about where would be a favourable draw. The only thing most agreed on however was nobody wanted Pegs 19 or 20. These however would be in the draw as there were 24 of us fishing today. No Minx or Jinx Jnr today though as they were off to Reading to visit their Gran.

Anyway Draw time soon rolled round and Peg 22 on the car park bank was mine for the day, a shortish walk and a bit to close to those unwanted pegs and Ady had struggled for 30lbs from there yesterday. Dai and Terry had drawn the short straws of Pegs 19 and 20 respectively, while down to my left I had Malc on 24 and Mat on 26.
Peg 22, my home for the day
I was just looking for a nice relaxing day today so decided that the rigs from yesterday would be used once more today as I hadn’t stripped them off my top kits yesterday. The 0·3 NG XT Power Pencil on 0·20 Ultima Power Match finishing with size 16 Guru MWG allowed me to cover an area at around 5mtrs straight out in front, while the 0.2 NG Edger on 0·20 Ultima Power Match finished off with size 14 Guru MWG allowed me to fish the edge of the bush to my left and the NG 0·3 XT Sampson margin on 0·20 Ultima Power Match finished off with size 14 Guru MWG was fine for the right hand margin. No change to the bait today either, just my usual 6, 8 and 11mm fishery pellets and a selection of various GOT Baits soft hookers, along with sweetcorn and paste.

At 11am John sounded the All-In and a pot of mixed pellet and corn was deposited on the 5mtr line along with a handful of pellets by the bush and down the margin. A banded 8mm pellet was shipped out to the 5mtr line. The float soon slid away but it turned out to be what is rapidly becoming my customary foul hooker, and of course as soon as Malc saw it shed the hook.

However it wasn’t to long before the float buried once more and this time the outcome was more satisfying as after a brief tussle a nice scale perfect common of around 8lbs slid over the net. Malc was romping away however with 4 carp in as many put ins, though of course just as he felt he had it sorted he suffered a run of foul hookers leaving him with little more than a collection of scales on his side tray and a rig in the trees behind him.

Jean had brought me a cup of coffee and the news that Kevin was struggling down on Peg 30. A couple of better Bream were next along for me in quick succession, and while I could see a few fish coming out around the Big Lake it didn’t seem as if anyone was bagging up. Indeed nowhere was that truer than Pegs 19 and 20 where Dai and Terry were definitely suffering for their sport……
Dai and Terry with the 2 pegs nobody wanted.
However Dai did pull the rabbit out of the hat, finally connecting with a decent Carp, which despite giving him a bit of a run around finally found itself safely wrapped in Dai’s landing net. Malc was still getting the odd fish though and from the banter I could hear between him and Simps on Peg 28 so was Simps.

Around 2pm Dave C strolled round with news that Nick B on Peg 5 had landed a PB Carp of 19½lbs, and shortly after Kevin appeared with a freshly cooked Sausage and Bacon roll. With that taken care of it was back to the fishing, but my next two bites proved to be foul hookers that left me with nothing apart from scales on the hook. Next put in the float buried once more, I connected with what was obviously a decent fish which just plodded off as if it didn’t realise it was hooked. At first I feared it was another foul hooked fish, but soon realised it wasn’t. It was just a big fish that didn’t want to get it’s head up, every time I felt I was getting somewhere with it, it would just head off in another direction. After 6-7 minutes I had it in close but still hadn’t seen it when it headed of toward the bush to my left. I piled on as much pressure as I dared to stop it and it suddenly popped up right by my nets, a big Common. Luckily I managed to net it first time, but it wasn’t till I lifted it clear that I realised what a good fish it was.
On the scales it registered 19¼lbs, a pole caught PB for me, and fortunately Malc was on hand to do the honours with the camera……
Peter with his 19lbs 4oz Common Carp
 As I returned it Terry asked what it had weighed, and when I told him he said that he’d be happy with the ¼ at that point. Of course that was his cue for his float to dip and for him to find that the culprit was a small foul hooked Roach.

As the match wound down I managed another 4 carp and one more Bream before the All-Out was called at 4pm. I thought I had somewhere around 50lbs but wasn’t unduly bothered as the big Common had made my day, and I soon had my kit packed up and back in the car before the start of the Weigh-In.

Three of the Morefax guys kicked off the weigh in with a best of 60½lbs from Peg 34. Nick W put 75lbs on the scales at Peg 40 to take an early lead. Next came Simon W with 30¼lbs and Dave C with 58½lbs. Nick B had a good day with 116lbs to take the lead and start a row of Morefax weights, the best of which were Tony Moore on peg 13 with 49lbs and Gary Smithers on Peg 14 with 72¾lbs. Dai managed 22¾lbs, but poor Terry could only muster 2 Roach for 4ozs. My weight was 51¾lbs, but Malc put 91lbs on the scales. Mat had 36¼ but Simps cracked a ‘Ton’ with 100½lbs. Kev managed a tie with Terry on 4ozs and Dave M was last to weigh with 68½lbs.

Back to the hut and Dave C sorted the results. Winner on the day was Nick Bondeau, taking his first ever match win with his first ever ‘Ton’ and a PB Carp. Second on the day was Simps with the days only other ‘Ton’ while Malc finished the day with 3rd place. Thanks to the lads of Morefax AC for the invite today, so an enjoyable couple of days at Rolfs came to an end, not the best of weekends in terms of weights caught, but if it was easy it wouldn’t be such a challenge, still great fun all the same and a credit as always to John and Pauline.

 




 Position
Peg
Angler
Weight
 1st Peg 5 Nick Bondeau Morefax AC   116lbs 00ozs
 2nd Peg 28 Simon Mound Marsh AC   100lbs 08ozs
 3rd Peg 24 Malc Doyle Marsh AC     91lbs 00ozs
 4th Peg 40 Nick Williams Marsh AC     75lbs 00ozs
 5th Peg 14 Gary Smithers Morefax AC     72lbs 12ozs
 6th Peg 32 Dave Moore Marsh AC     68lbs 08ozs
 7th Peg 34 Hugh McCulloch Morefax AC     60lbs 08ozs
 8th Peg 4 Dave Collier Marsh AC     58lbs 08ozs
 9th Peg 22 Peter Morton Marsh AC     51lbs 12ozs
 10th Peg 13 Tony Moore Morefax AC     49lbs 00ozs
 11th Peg 9 Brian Richardson Morefax AC     38lbs 08ozs
 12th Peg 26 Mat Edwards Marsh AC     36lbs 04ozs
 13th Peg 10 Ken Sherrington Morefax AC     31lbs 00ozs
 14th Peg 2 Simon Watkins Marsh AC     30lbs 04ozs
 15th Peg 7 Geoff Powell Morefax AC     28lbs 04ozs 
 16th Peg 36 Scott Smith Morefax AC     26lbs 00ozs
 17th Peg 19 Dai Thomas Marsh AC     22lbs 12ozs
 18th Peg 18 Steve Jenkins Morefax AC     21lbs 04ozs
 19th= Peg 17 Andy Power Morefax AC     10lbs 08ozs
 19th= Peg 38 Gary Bird Morefax AC     10lbs 08ozs
 21st Peg 15 Ray Wager Morefax AC       1lbs 00ozs
 22nd Peg 8 Sean Moore Morefax AC              12ozs
 23rd= Peg 20 Terry Goff Marsh AC                4ozs
 23rd= Peg 30 Kevin Loveland Marsh AC                4ozs
 



No comments:

Post a Comment