Monday 25 August 2008

Falkenville Mushroom Farm. Hailsham . August 25th, 2008.


MushroomFarm.jpg Falkenville Mushroom Farm picture by pnm123
August Bank Holiday Monday and with Maria having to work I’d accepted an invitation from Bill to join him and a few of the lads on the Maggotdrowning forum down at Falkenville Mushroom Farm for a session on the new lake there. It was over 5 years ago that I last fished at Falkenville on the same lake as today when it 1st opened when it looked as it appears in the photo above. However in the intervening time it has been changed with 1 arm cut off and the rest widened, and now looks something like the image I’ve created below.
Pulling into the car park I was greeted by Pete, Ryan and Mick and after a brief chat Bill pulled into the car park to join us, that just left Al who was obviously running late. Rather than wait Bill got the gate key and we drove over to the lake. No draw today, just a fun day out so we just unloaded the gear and plonked ourselves in the nearest pegs.

Now on Saturday there had been some discussion about Bill being a JINX, and maybe there’s something in it. When I had left home the sun was shining but as I got closer to the fishery the sun vanished to be replaced by grey clouds and by the time we had set up the wind had risen and there was the threat of rain.
W1-5.jpg New Lake at Falkenvile. picture by pnm123
Plumbing up I couldn’t find much more than 3ft of water in front of me, so set up a paste rig comprising of a Mk3 Malman self cocking paste float on 0·18 to a size 12 Drennan Carp Match and a Malman 4×12 Snake IV on 0·18 to a size 18 Drennan Carp Match to fish pellet on the deck. Starting off at around 6mtrs I soon had a bite that rewarded me with a nice plump Common of around 3lbs while most of the other lads were still setting up. A ringing on Bill’s phone revealed a slightly lost Al needing to be talked in by Bill, and most of us were off the mark by the time that Al finally arrived to join us.

Well the wind increased and some rain arrived and soon it resembled early winter rather than late summer. By about 1pm I’d managed half a dozen Carp, Ryan had just the one but was determined to get a few more………….
W3-5.jpg Ryan contemplates things. picture by pnm123
Pete was getting a few by chucking the feeder across ……………….
W10-3.jpg Pete plays a Carp. picture by pnm123
Bill was doing best of all and had been catching regularly fishing paste at around 5mtrs, but even his action had slowed……………
W6-3.jpg Bill G. picture by pnm123
while Mick was struggling despite trying the pole and feeder…………..
W7-3.jpg Micky the chippy. picture by pnm123
and Al had a few fishing out in front of him but just couldn’t interest the fish that were obviously feeding in his margins …………
W9-3.jpg Al. picture by pnm123
By 1·30 I’d had enough of the struggle, I tipped back my fish and moved over to a swim at the end of the arm that had been cut off. Reed lined on both sides it offered a little bit of shelter from the conditions and just looked as if it was good for a few fish.
W13-3.jpg My second swim. picture by pnm123
A few pellets down both sides and a lump of paste on the hook and I was into fish straight away and from then on a regular succession of Carp provided great entertainment right up to the point when the lads came round with the scales at the end of the session, indeed I hooked a final fish as they arrived, but with a crack the rig vanished. It turned out the Black Hydro had snapped!!!  I can’t really complain though, as it was 4 years old, so I’ve had my monies-worth out of it. 43½lbs of pristine Carp showed what an enjoyable afternoon I’d had, so with those I’d tipped back earlier I’d had a good 50lbs+ on a challenging day. Bill had 67½lbs for the bragging rights on the day and Pete managed 40lbs+ as well, indeed we’d all had a few.

All in all not a bad day given the conditions, Thanks to Bill for organising the day and to the lads for their company, it won’t be 5 years before I visit again.





No comments:

Post a Comment